Polycarbonate (Lexan) (Printed Sheet Materials - Sold by SQFT)
Sold by the SQFT
Polycarbonate is a type of semi-hard plastic that is superior to glass and offered in clear or white. Acrylic is known to be 10x stronger than glass against breakage, but Polycarbonate is 25x Stronger than acrylic and Shatter-proof! Polycarbonate has a semi-glossy surface with superior ink adhesion vs acrylic and offers superior flexibility and moldability.
Due to the flexibility of Polycarbonate, it is not suitable for freestanding displays, but are perfect for wall mounting with standoffs or hanging. Cutting is no problem with Polycarbonate, and we offer CNC Router finishing services. Polycarbonate is known to have superior light transmittance vs acrylic and offers increased aversion to damage.
Incredible durability both indoors and out, polycarbonate is the superior sign panel. Unfortunately, as with all good things, Polycarbonate has a few downsides and most notably is its poor resistance to abrasion and marring. Another unfortunate inferiority is that it tends to yellow over long term exposure to UV, fortunately, the Polycarbonate we source has a UV resistant coating on one side to mitigate the yellowing.
Polycarbonate is not the most economical option but would be considered one of the most durable and should be top of your list if Long Term durability and lasting quality are of importance.
Points to know about Polycarbonate:
- Ideal for both Interior and Exterior Signage
- Highly recommended for Interior and Exterior Illuminated Signage
- Waterproof, weather-resistant, extremely tolerant of temperature extremes
- Common thicknesses included 1/8", 3/16", and 1/4”. Thicker sheets available by request
- A superior alternative to Acrylic Signs
- It can be cut to nearly any size and shape
- Highly receptive to digital printing